Role: General Counsel and COO
Reporting Line: President and CEO
Compensation: Salary + Bonus (+ potential equity)
Reply: Apply online at https://alphainnovations.io/careers/
Alpha Innovations is a next-generation asset management company that is moving quickly to disrupt the industry. As our name suggests, we are hyper-focused on mining a finite resource – persistent alpha. We have designed our firm from the ground up to cost-effectively extract various forms of alpha from different markets, and deliver that alpha to our investors. By leveraging the latest technologies and our extensive experience in the finance world, we create offerings with highly compelling returns and avoid many of the risks and expenses associated with traditional asset management. We have engineered a firm for the future–one with the unwavering goal of enriching our valued investors.
AI is deeply involved in investment product development in many international jurisdictions, which necessitates monumental legal efforts to structure our products and regulatory framework to ensure continual compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. While we rely heavily on external counsel in most jurisdictions, we require a seasoned in-house GC to quarterback these external efforts as well as to manage other legal and compliance affairs for the firm. This is an incredibly dynamic and challenging position which will push the successful candidate to gain expertise in emerging aspects of law.
- Scope out firm-wide and project-specific legal, regulatory and product initiatives.
- Diligence and select subject matter expert legal firms and manage these relationships over the course of the projects.
- Initiate and maintain all required securities markets registrations.
- Keep the firm up-to-date on all relevant laws in the jurisdictions in which we operate in.
- Be our point person for engagement with regulators, SROs, trade associations, etc.
- Manage day-to-day legal affairs including negotiating contracts with service providers and market counterparties, employment contracts, etc.
- Develop and implement gold-standard firm-wide code of ethics and compliance policies, procedures and audit frameworks.
- Ensure on-going training of internal staff and external parties on AI’s compliance policies.
Required Traits and Skills
- Must have a demonstrable track record of thinking way outside the box to produce innovative solutions to complex legal matters.
- 10+ years of experience supporting investment businesses including prior hedge fund experience.
- Proven success in hiring and cost-effectively managing external counsel.
- Prior tax law experience and global distribution of funds is a plus.